Day 4 - Our Normandy landing

June 4 - Channel crossing day

 

One factor that helped me choose this particular tour over any others was the fact that we would sail from Portsmouth to Cherbourg. An approach of Normandy by water just seemed so appropriate. We had rainy weather, but no one was shooting at us, so our crossing was commemorative but not imitative. Many veterans were on board and we learned everywhere we went that ceremonies were being held daily in their honor as they arrived, on both the English and French shores.

On board the ferry I noticed a few groups of young British men in WWII-era GI uniforms. In my innocence, I asked one chap why he was wearing that, and I pointed to his GI jacket. He replied, "Because it's cold." Helpful, eh? By way of further explanation, he added, "We'll be driving around in jeeps." As Mary did when told wonders of her Son that she did not understand, I stored this in my heart without probing further. But I was to comprehend the full import of the conversation within a matter of hours.

Normandy is a cynosure for World War II reenactors. Thousands upon thousands of civilians of all ages and many nationalities, but especially French, dress up in U.S. Army fatigues and ride around in jeeps, troop trucks, and other period vehicles. Some recreate entire Army camps and I understand there are lots of dances and other entertainments they enjoy, all in the costumes and customs of the times.

I was puzzled at the first few reenactors I met, thinking they were docents or something. But I soon figured it out. Frankly I was entranced by their ubiquitous presence and the verisimilitude they lent to the landscape. I will admit that the profusion of Army vehicles on the roads contributed to traffic jams which were not welcome to people stuck on coaches trying to get to significant landmarks on a tight schedule. Still - I enjoyed them, and even toyed with the idea of doing this myself some time in the future. :-)  I do love a charade.

We were installed at the Marine Hotel in Cherbourg. It was adequate and the staff overworked but friendly. The hotel was situated right on the marina so from the public rooms and many bedrooms (not mine) there was a stunning view.
Next day







No comments:

Post a Comment